Monday, August 17, 2009

Veggies!

I decided to attempt the blog thing again. I had an account many years ago on deadjournal. No idea how often I'll update this. Hopefully I'll stick with it.

Anyway, I was given three enormous yellow squash and an even bigger zucchini by a friend. Hence, zucchini and squash week in my apartment. Unfortunately, my boyfriend won't touch veggies (with the exception of carrots and broccoli), so I had to figure out a way he'd eat them. I ended up making zucchini alfredo and multigrain zucchini muffins. The zucchini alfredo was alright, although I knew he wouldn't eat it, so more for me! I ended up with so much zucchini I was able to make two batches of muffins. After some tweaking, I came up with a rather tasty recipe. And here it is for your reading (and tummy grumbling) pleasure!

Multigrain Zucchini Muffins

1 1/2 C white flour
3/4 C wheat germ
3/4 C oats
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 eggs
1/4 C vegetable oil
1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
1 C plain low fat yogurt
1/4 C molasses
1/2 C honey
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 C zucchini, shredded
1 C carrots, shredded
1/2 C walnuts, chopped
1/2 C raisins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 24 muffin cups.

In a small bowl, sift all dry ingredients. In a medium bowl, combine wet ingredients. Add dry mixture to wet. Fold in zucchini, carrots, pecans, and raisins. Scoop into muffin cups.

Bake about 20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.

No comments:

Post a Comment